Friday, May 31, 2013

Wrapping Up May/Anticipating June

Tomorrow is the first day of my favorite month: JUNE! I only have 4.5 more days with the kids and then 4 (well, three for me-huzzah!) workdays to get through and then it's time for summer, glorious summer! On the fifteenth I am going with some of my family members to the beach and I can't wait for a week of laying in the sun and just reading!
June's not quite here yet though, and before it gets here I need to wrap up May:

What I Read:
The Phantom of the Opera -no review yet
The Awakening
The Silver Linings Playbook
A Walk in the Woods
The Orchardist
Look Me In The Eye: My Life With Aspergers -no review

Somehow, miraculously, I found the time to write NINE blog posts. In addition to reviews I also did a bookshelf tour, participated in The Classics Club Spin #2, did a mini book haul, and explained why I had to drop out of Armchair BEA.
My favorite read this month was Silver Linings Playbook.
I got The Phantom of the Opera for my Classics Club Spin choice (#6: Books I Feel Neutral About). I actually enjoyed it. I haven't written a review on it yet, but I gave it 3.5 stars and hope to get a review up this weekend.

May is one of my most busiest months of the year. This past week alone has drained all of the life out of me (and only allowed me to really read about 20 pages for the entire week). I'm very surprised that I was able to get six books read during this month! To be fair, The Awakening was very short and Look Me In The Eye was an audio book. I also think that coming out of my reading slump had left me longing for some literature in a bad way! Looking back at the variety of the books I read this month I got inspired to add more variety to what I read, so I decided to set monthly reading goals. What I hope to accomplish each month is to read one classic, one adult fiction, one YA book, one non-fiction and one audio book  The only one that gives me any reserve is the audio book. I have a thirty minute commute (one-way) to work which usually gives me an hour of listening time each day. However, with summer approaching (did I mention how stoked i am for this?!) I don't think that I will be spending as much time in the car. Hopefully when I do vacation and road trips I'll be able to do the audio books that way.

Here is what I hope to accomplish in June:

It's Jane In June month so I'm hoping to read at least one Jane Austen related book.

Classic: Mansfield Park, Emma, or Persuasion -Jane Austen
YA: The Fault In Our Stars -John Greene
Adult Fiction: Tell The Wolves I'm Home -Carol Rifka Brunt (I'm not sure if this book is technically "YA" or not, but this is the July selection for Book Club so I'm going to include it under the adult fiction section, especially since I'm super excited to finally read The Fault in Our Stars)
Non-Fiction: Stiff: The Curious Lives Of Human Cadavers -Mary Roach (I was going to read a Jane biography, but I think that I will save that for Austen in August.)
Audio book: World War Z: An Oral History of The Zombie War -Max Brooks (I technically started this one a few days ago, but I'm not done with it yet so I'm going to count it for my June book).

So there you have it. May was a great reading month despite the hectic work schedule I had this month. June looks to be even more promising as I will have ample free time to do what I do best- READ!

No comments:

Post a Comment